Written while Drunk on Thoughts

1 Jun 2013

Courtesy of Escentual.com

*This is the first beauty blogpost about a blind test on Micellar Solution that is raving in the beauty market. I was sent these 7 samples from Escentual.com (http://www.escentual.com/) to try out. This is the first time I will be reviewing products, I hope it will be good enough.*

On the day of Chinese New Year, I went to Chinatown but of course, I wouldn't pass off an opportunity of shopping. I stopped by at Oxford Circus tube station and walked along Regent Street to Chinatown. I wanted to get some foot cream because my feet are peeling crazy. Crabtree & Evelyn was next door so I wandered into it and came out with tons of hand cream because they were on sale.

Anyway, this is the story that lead me to discovering Escentual.com. I came home and started using all the hand cream and fell in love with India Hicks scent, so, I logged on to Crabtree & Evelyn's website in hope to order the body lotion to find it out of stock. So I googled it and found it at Escentual.com. I ordered in on Sunday, sit back, relax and wait for it to arrive.

What surprised me is the speedy delivery and shipping handling. On the day itself, which is a Sunday, Escentual.com sent me an email telling me they despatched my item and within 2 days, I got my lotion.

The above rambling is the story of how I stumbled upon Escentual.com and love it ever since.

2 weeks ago, I saw a tweet on twitter that announced that Escentual.com was looking for 100 bloggers and beauty addicts to do a blind trial on Micellar Solutions from France that are raving in the beauty market. Bioderma is amongst the famous brands. I regret not getting them cheap while I was in Paris.

So, about 3 weeks ago, while reading my tweets, I came across this tweet by Escentual.com inviting bloggers or beauty addicts to participate in a Micellar Blind Trial. I had only been blogging for half a year and doesn't consider myself as a blogger. But beauty addict, that, I am. I had been for the past 10 years, so I think I am qualified.

Anyway, upon receiving an email confirming that I am one of the lucky hundreds to participate in the blind test, I received my parcel within 2 days. Guess what, these are what Escentual.com sent me.





I personally think that Escentual.com is way too generous. Samples together with the test. No to mention those cute dropper bottles, I feel like I am back in Chemistry class again. I had been rambling too much, lets get back to the topic here.

Here are my criteria's in testing out these samples.
  • texture
  • scent
  • how well it removes makeup (my makeup is minimal with mascara, a little eyeliner and foundation) and cleanse
  • how my skin feels after removing makeup
  • how my skin feels after cleansing with my Clarins cleanser 
  • how my skin feels the morning after
Sample A

  • Feels like water (obviously) but with a hint of soapy feeling in it
  • I like this scent very much - it smell almost nutty. Not really a hate it or love it scent but some might be put off by the scent.
  • Need a few wipes to get my waterproof mascara out
  • slightly sticky
  • hydrated 
  • less oily 
Sample B
  • less soapy compared to Sample A
  • I do not like this scent, it smells like laundry powder, love it on my clothes and sheets. Not so much on my skincare product
  • Need a few wipes to get my waterproof mascara out
  • sticky
  • hydrating
  • skin feels the same
Sample C
  • feels like water
  • I do not like this scent, perhaps more than Sample B, it reminded me of Lux body shampoo that stings my skin 
  • Need a few wipes to get my waterproof mascara out
  • No sticky feeling
  • skin doesn't feel tight but not hydrating
  • skin feels the same
Sample D
  • feels like water
  • lightest scent (those with scent) of the samples
  • Need a few wipes to get my waterproof mascara out
  • no sticky feeling
  • stick feels tight and dry 
  • skin feels oily
Sample E
  • feels like water
  • sharp scent, I prefer my skincare with more soothing scent
  • Need a few wipes to get my waterproof mascara out
  • no sticky feeling
  • stick feels tight and dry 
  • skin feels extremely comfortable
Sample F
  • feels like water
  • NO SCENT!!!!
  • Need a few wipes to get my waterproof mascara out
  • no sticky feeling
  • stick feels slightly tight and dry but can be solve using toner 
  • skin feels extremely comfortable
Sample G
  • feels like water
  • NO SCENT!!!!
  • Need more than a few wipes to get my waterproof mascara out
  • no sticky feeling
  • stick feels tight and dry 
  • skin feels extremely comfortable
Out of the 7 samples, these are my preference:
  1. Sample F
  2. Sample A
  3. Sample G
  4. Sample D
  5. Sample B
  6. Sample E
  7. Sample C
As you can see, I am a "scent" person, the scent or lack of it plays a huge part in deciding which is my favourite. =)

So, here's my verdict on the samples, sorry that it was a bit long and might not be as good as product reviews should be, bear in mind this is my virgin review. I hope you like it though. Oh ya, they are having a French brands sale starting 1st June 2013 - don't miss it. 

No comments :

Post a Comment